ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[second-milestone-report]

Second Milestone Report

  • To: "second-milestone-report@xxxxxxxxx" <second-milestone-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Second Milestone Report
  • From: Fun Jin Lim <funj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 03:04:55 +0000

To the ICANN Board:

My name is Lim Fun Jin and I attended my first ICANN meeting just last month
because decisions made here impact my technology business based in Kuala
Lumpur, Singapore and Australia.   Our business is in building software with a
focus on Cloud and SaaS solutions.  As part of our business we own a few
domains and are also involved in assisting our customers in hosting/co-branding
our solution which results in new domain registrations.

I applauded the approval of the new gTLD program and wish to emphasize two
points I made during the public forum at ICANN meeting in Singapore.

1.     I am encouraged to hear the possibility of certain registries pledging
to protect the existing domain name owners against possible trademark
violations by offering internationalized versions to existing domain name
owners. I support these registries and urge other applicants to do the same
thing.

2.     The reduction of confusion and complexities related to internationalized
domains, especially those in non-latin alphabets, is an important focal point
for the ICANN community. The use of the internet will continue to grow as it
extends to people that have not been able to fully use domain names or email
addresses in their native languages. Each user should be able to have the same
experience as their counterpart on the other side of the world. For instance,
someone typing shopping.net in Cantonese script and someone using shopping.net
in latin script should be directed to the same page. This requires the
participation of all applicants and I encourage this to be taken into account
this application period.

I hear ICANN leaders saying "One world, one internet".   This is indeed where
we are headed.  But to get there, new gTLD applicants must recognize the
importance of protecting domain owners and creating a consistent experience
around the world.

Lim Fun Jin
ISA Innovation Sdn. Bhd.
* www.isainnovation.net   *  +6012 2097622 (mobile)  +603 7725 1211 (office)