Ignorance of issues will also lead to inequities - can more time and resources be given to communicating issues to stakeholders?
- To: "second-milestone-report@xxxxxxxxx" <second-milestone-report@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Ignorance of issues will also lead to inequities - can more time and resources be given to communicating issues to stakeholders?
- From: William Tibben <wjt@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:11:27 +1000
Thank you for giving the opportunity to respond to the Second Milestone Report.
The response is a little rushed and has not been endorsed by the PICISOC board
or APRALO (where I represent PICISOC) though these points have been discussed
on the PICISOC members list
Four points have been developed in response the WG's Second Milestone Report
1. The primary criteria of financial capacity tis appropriate. However, while
this is necessary and I would argue that the issue of ignorance (poor
understanding of the implications of these changes) stands as a similar threat
to to achieving equity of access to gTLDs.
2. The potential for culturally uniques symbols either in graphical or text
format to be appropriated without the knowledge of respective cultural groups
represents a significant challenge to equity of access.
3. The WG should consider financial assistance for those who are not able to
seek re-dress through channels particularly if legal costs of stakeholders are
4. More time and further attention to spreading the message about the work that
WG is undertaking is required (see Maureen Hilyards post in this forum)
Co-Vice Chair PICISOC Board
PICISOC rep on APRALO