ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN and Verisign settlement

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN and Verisign settlement
  • From: "Michael Blankenship" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:32:58 -0800

    I thought I would take this opportunity to provide some feedback regarding
Verisign.  It probably would be insufficient for me to simply state that this
company is evil or even "greedy beyond measure".  I would need to relate
anecdote after anecdote of their unbelievable gall in dealing with their
customers, their arrogance and the fees upon fees that they would bilk from
their monopoly over the domain name space.  I could write all this but I doubt
that you would read it, given the sheer number of comments you're likely to
receive.

    Suffice it to say that in my opinion, Verisign is just that:  evil and
greedy.  Please, please do anything that you can to stop Verisign's ability to
charge every-increasing transfer fees to other registrars.  Transfering a
domain name from Verisign is already nearly impossible (from the number of
hoops that they make their customers jump through in order to succeed).  The
transfer process already takes a week or more, often purposely made more
difficult by their support staff when multiple domain names are involved.  And
invariably, they do this in order to prevent a near-expiration-date transfer
from succeeding by delaying the transfer long enough so that the domain name
becomes locked.

Thanks,
Michael Blankenship, Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(925) 687-9180 x1