ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Comments

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments
  • From: Larry Johnson <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:24:23 -0800

I am opposed to the proposed settlement . The proposed rate increases don't
help the Internet as a whole but only those collecting the money.

I need to state that my time on this network medium goes back to a time when my
company was commissioned to help maintain a section of NSF Net.  The Internet
was born from that and other networks.  It was designed and built in the US.
Transferring control of this to any other body such as the UN is inconceivable
to me. The UN is 83% funded by US taxpayers but they really know how to bite
the hand that feeds them. It is yet another example of technology that we
design but give control to others.  There are those of us that have GIVEN
thousands of hours of our time to organizations such as the IETF.  I have not
seen Verisign donate anything but rather their hand is always stuck out wanting
paid.  I have seen IP allocations issued based on the "Good old boy" principle
where large companies can have 3/4 of a 16 million (Class A) allocation unused
but when they want more address space they get it. There is many things that
need fixed and this settlement is a step in the wrong dir!
 ection.

Larry  Johnson