ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

This settlement stinks

  • To: Settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: This settlement stinks
  • From: Craig Green <cmg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:28:25 -0500

An Internet user for over 10 years now, I am appalled by this latest settlement. It was the DOC intention with the original breakup of verisign to end monopoly power. You have just reinstated it. No good can come of it, unless your intention was to murder the .com market. If so, congratulations. Otherwise, this mess will lead to ever-increasing price increases at the behest of Verisign, a company, who frankly, has yet to figure out how to make a competent dollar.

Let’s see:
7% price increases as needed.
.37 charge so we can pay you the settlement fee that Verisign agreed to. Note – we never wanted verisign to offer the service in question to begin with.

Congratulations – you’ve shown how an overbearing monopolist can handle it’s inept overseer.

Thanks -- maybe this would all be in better hands with either the UN or the DOC.