ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

This whole thing stinks...

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: This whole thing stinks...
  • From: "Jim Mahoney" <jimmymahoney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:35:26 -0500

Do you think we're idiots?  What I find even more amazing is that you obviously
thought that you might slip this by the internet public without notice.  No
caps on price increases AND perpetual control of the COM registry for Verisign?
 I have never seen a more blantant example of two organizations scratching each
other's backs than this one.  ICANN gets to increase (by a factor of three)
it's budget and hence their fees while Verisign has carte blanche on their .COM
business practices with no one to answer to about it except for their "buddy"
ICANN.

The proposed .COM renewal contract should be retooled to reflect the Internet
community's concerns.  YOU WORK FOR US.  WE DO NOT WORK FOR YOU.
gTLDs are a public trust and as such no registry operator, including VeriSign,
should be given indefinite control over them, especially one as important as
the .COM registry. Wasn't this the reason why the monopoly was taken away from
Network Solutions?

VeriSign's unilateral price increases that are not cost-based and not subject
to approval should not be allowed.

All ICANN fees should continue to be approved by the Internet community.

Internet users should not have to pay an unreasonable "ICANN Tax" or pay more
for domain names just to increase VeriSign's profits.

REMEMBER YOUR FOUNDING CHARTER AND STOP TURNING INTO WHAT YOU WERE CREATED TO
PROTECT US FROM.