ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Our comments about your proposed agreement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Our comments about your proposed agreement
  • From: Pack Web Hosting <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:41:13 +0530

Hello,

We run a small web hosting company Pack Web Hosting in Chandigarh, India.

We represent more than 300 customers and are managing about 1200 domain names. We here charge Rs.350 or USD 7.95 approx.
for each .com registration. We like to oppose this agreement of yours on following grounds :-

1. Prices of IT or IT related products are going down everywhere. This decision of yours is a retrograde step.
2. India is a developing country. Even if not many domains are being booked here as compared to the US, considering the current trends
India should one day in near future be a market to reckon with. People here do go after the minimum price. Since for last 2-3 years
the prices have remained constant, people are willing to shell out what we are charging right now. A 7% increase per year does no good
to the price conscious public. If .com prices someday reaches the price level of other TLD's, people would certainely go in for that.
3. A system like domain registry will be as trasparent/benificial etc. to the people if the body controlling it has the least desire of earning
profit from it.
4. US is the most litigious country in the world. You may feel you are trying to save yourself from pending litigation, but never know
what may others do in future. Therefore the reason to solve the present dispute is no reason to rejoice if the probability of new disputes is
still there rather it may increase because of this settlement.

I think you'll consider what I am putting here. Its best interest of everybody if the current system continues the way it has for last many years.

Regards

Kirti singh
Lead Developer

Pack Web Hosting