ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN/Verisign Proposed Settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN/Verisign Proposed Settlement
  • From: Carl Stehle <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:08:13 -0800

Dear Madam / Sir,

As a small business with internet server involvement spanning
back more than 5 years, we find several aspects of this settlement
troubling.

First, no competitive bidding or other similar mechanism appears
to have been considered for operation of the TLD.

Second, a built-in price increase of 7% appears to have been
granted for a service similar to that offered by many others
in an industry where annual price decreases are customary.

Third, no international support is evident in what is arguably
one of the most global of services.

In short, the settlement is one-sided and does not serve the
interests of the internet business community, non-profits, nor
internet consumers. The only obvious beneficiary is Verisign.

We strongly urge that you reject this settlement in favor of
seeking a more balanced solution to ongoing operation of the TLD.

--
Carl Stehle -- InstantServers, Inc.
Mountain View, CA USA