ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Settlement comments

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Settlement comments
  • From: Laura Heckman <lcheckman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:39:32 -0500

The operation of the Internet seems to be getting a lot of attention these
days.  I read in the paper just the other day that a number of other
countries want to control the Internet.  Perhaps it is just me, but why is
there a big fight over ICANN and VeriSign's legal disputes over domain
registration/ownership, when the big picture threat would be the UN
Secretary General Kofi Annan hiring a Chinese Communist Party official to
lead the Internet Regulation Task Force?  Amazing really.

I, for one, do not want the Internet falling into the hands of the UN, much
less a communist official.  The Internet has come to be the bastion of free
speech, and the constant flow of information and ideas from business to
business, from person to person, and from one nation to another.  Please,
let's keep our eyes on the ball here folks, and stop squabbling over ICANN
and Verisign.  Support this settlement.  Innovation and progress will
benefit the high tech sector and all of it's consumers.  Future innovation
will always be more important down the road than any litigation.