ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

From the Copenhagen Institute

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: From the Copenhagen Institute
  • From: "Chresten Anderson" <cva@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:15:43 +0100

I am happy with the suggested settlement agreement reached by VeriSign and
ICANN. This agreement will ensure that the Internet will not go on standby
for years while expensive lawyers file numerous complaints and
counter-complaints with the sole consequence of deterring innovation and
reduce the value of Internet businesses all over the world. Hopefully the
agreement will secure stability and predictability. I find that the cost of
the settlement is a minuscule price to pay for long-term confidence in the
administration of the Internet and .com domain. Should ICANN it relevant
instead of interfering with the .com domain they could instead open one or
more corporate domains, such as the already existing .biz. An alternative to
.com could be .corp.

On a further note it is important to point our that ICANN and VeriSign with
this settlement agreement clearly illustrated why ICANN should not be moved
into the hands of the United Nations as proposed by a number of states -
including the EU. It is impossible to imagine that a settlement could have
been reached with such swiftness and clarity if ICANN was controlled by a UN
agency.

With kind regards

Chresten Anderson
President

Copenhagen Institute
Fruebjergvej 3, Boks 75 - DK-2100 Cph. OE, Denmark
Tlf. +45 3917 9465 - Fax. +45 3917 9901 - Mob. +45 2092 7654
E-mail:  <mailto:canderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> cva@xxxxxxx
Website:  <http://www.markedscentret.dk/> www.coin.dk