ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

RE: ICANN-Verisign Settlement MacandD

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: ICANN-Verisign Settlement MacandD
  • From: J J <nametycoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:08:26 -0800 (PST)

Its great of you to think Verisign has your best
interest in mind their proposed CLS but one can only
assume there's other motives behind your post aswell.
But if not being that you have just now become of
aware of it let me fill you in on the real facts. I
share the same objections as pool.com they just happen
to have the ability to speak for the little guys like
me. And in reality this is just one of the many things
wrong with this settlement. I don't make alot of money
at what I do but I am able to work from home, make a
decent living, and spend quality time with my son. If
Verisign paves this golden path for their future they
put me and MANY others out of business. Why?

For one, their proposed service eliminates everything
I have taught myself to do over the past 4-5 years. It
opens up the expired drop market to the world. It
tells them when, where, and how to get a name. The
only thing left from there is who has the bigger
wallet. I would imagine you haven't participated in
one of the current auction serives but if you had you
would find you need a REAL FAT wallet and this is only
a handful of people bidding. Imagine if thats opened
up to the world. All the while Verisign sits back and
collects a nice commission.

Secondly, with their proposed service the intend to
allow owners to add names to it during active phase
and charge a fee on the transaction that is much less
than the current industry standard. I make most of my
living pairing up buyers and sellers and charge a fee
on the transaction. A bit like a real estate agent
would. In a sense thats what I am only digital estate
agent if you will. Now imagine if MLS send out a
memorandum to all of the real estate agents of the
world and said, "You are no longer needed we will be
opening our service up to the public and they can just
add and sell their homes themselves so go find a job."
That is essentially what is happening here. If this
deal gets signed ICANN and Verisign might aswell be
sending out this memorandum to me and hundreds if not
thousands of other small business owners.

Sincerely,

John Jeffers
Future Undetermined

Yahoo! Music Unlimited