ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

RE: Post by MacandD

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Post by MacandD
  • From: John Jeffers <musiccity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:22:31 -0800

Its heartwarming of you to think Verisign has your best interest in mind
their proposed CLS but one can only assume there's other motives behind your
post. If not being that you have just now become of aware of it let me fill
you in on the real facts. I share the same objections as pool.com they just
happen to have the ability to speak for the little guys like me. And in
reality this is just one of the many things wrong with this settlement. I
don't make alot of money at what I do but I am able to work from home, make
a decent living, and spend quality time with my son. If Verisign paves this
golden path for their future they put me and MANY others out of business.
Why?

For one, their proposed service eliminates everything I have taught myself
to do over the past 4-5 years. It opens up the expired drop market to the
world. It tells them when, where, and how to get a name. The only thing left
from there is who has the bigger wallet. I would imagine you haven't
participated in one of the current auction serives but if you had you would
find you need a REAL FAT wallet and this is only a handful of people
bidding. Imagine if thats opened up to the world. All the while Verisign
sits back and collects a nice commission.

Secondly, with their proposed service the intend to allow owners to add
names to it during active phase and charge a fee on the transaction that is
much less than the current industry standard. I make most of my living
pairing up buyers and sellers and charge a fee on the transaction. A bit
like a real estate agent would. In a sense thats what I am only digital
estate agent if you will. Now imagine if MLS send out a memorandum to all of
the real estate agents of the world and said, "You are no longer needed we
will be opening our service up to the public and they can just add and sell
their homes themselves so go find a job." That is essentially what is
happening here. If this deal gets signed ICANN and Verisign might aswell be
sending out this memorandum to me and hundreds if not thousands of other
small business owners.

All in all, the only thing this ensures is putting me and many others out of
business not fair competition in the marketplace. You can quote me when I
say "I will spend my last dollar on an additional lawsuit if this does get
signed." Only mine will ask for monetary compensation.

Sincerely,

Future Undetermined