ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Disapprove of settlement - Please read

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Disapprove of settlement - Please read
  • From: adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:18:10 -0600

I see many problems with the proposed settlement between ICANN and Verisign
and I urge ICANN to stand up for the consumers an internet users it is to be
protecting . Raising the price of domains adversely impcats  consumer and
busineses.  The proposed settlement also maintains a status quo of letting
Verisign
do as Verisign pleases.  Verisign has pushed to far and this can not continue.

ICANN should be the authority and control. Verisign should be considered a sub-
contractor and should not be pulling the strings. This is akin to a
sub-contractor
lining the pockets of politicians who then pass them no-compete "sweetened"
contractual work.

I can not believe that  the only solution a governing body and a private
business
can find to setlle a lawsuit is at the expense of the consumer that the
governing
body is chartered to protect.  Adding insult to injury, it seems to me that by
settling
this suit ICANN is conceding and proving that they have no governing authority
enforceme any sort of rules in any contracts. . . . at least ones with
Verisign, which
in essence opens the door for more contractual infringements that go
unaccounted
for. . . please stop this. Do not settle at the expense of those you serve.