ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sg-petitions-charters]

importance of de-linking the creation of constituencies from voting seats on council

  • To: sg-petitions-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: importance of de-linking the creation of constituencies from voting seats on council
  • From: Adam Peake <ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:44:28 +0900

I have already indicated my support for the NCUC non-commercial stakeholder group proposal through my support for the Statement from Internet Governance Caucus <http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/msg00009.html>, but particularly want to emphasize the importance of de-linking the creation of constituencies from voting seats on the GNSO council. This is essential.

If constituencies are competing for seats and power they will be less effective in collaboration and representation of non-commercial interests. And once established with links to seats we'd likely see barriers to the creation and acceptance of new constituencies. Every opportunity must be taken to encourage non-commercial interests, both organizations and individuals, to participate in the GNSO. This can be achieved by ICANN increasing and supporting outreach efforts, not by risking the creation of new barriers.

Outreach: ICANN has been effective in outreach to the business constituency, for example the successful Paris meeting. Designing the Seoul meeting agenda so it's attractive for non-commercial organizations (particularly consumer organizations and informing such groups why ICANN needs their input) is the kind of initiative needed to make the new NCSG successful.

Please, no new barriers, make sure there is no linkage between the creation of constituencies and voting seats on council.

I am a member of ALAC, but this comment is my personal opinion, it does not represent a position of the ALAC or EU RALO.

Thank you,

Adam Peake