ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sg-petitions-charters]

Comment on the NCSG proposals

  • To: sg-petitions-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on the NCSG proposals
  • From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:52:24 -0400

I'd like to comment on the petitions submitted by the NCUC and by Cheryl Preston with regard to the structuring of the new NCSG.

First, I've felt for some time that the positioning for individuals within ICANN is confusing. They have been represented in theory in the past through membership in an organization belonging to the ALAC, and now they can be represented within the new NCSG structure. I don't see any clean delineation between those two forms of representation. However, I am pleased that there now will be an opportunity for individuals to participate individually and formally, so I approve of the broad outlines of the GNSO restructuring, even if their scope of direct formal participation is limited to the GNSO.

I've commented earlier regarding the proposal put forward by Cheryl Preston. It deserves to be rejected for the many reasons that were mentioned in the comments, both mine and those of other people opposed to it.

Yet I cannot support the current NCUC proposal, although it comes closer to what I would like to see as the future structure for that part of the GNSO. I'll just raise one of several objections: potential capture. The way the voting rules are now defined allows a significantly large group of individuals to capture the organization without difficulty.

I have discussed this with the proponents of the plan, and they feel that with more organizations joining the new NCSD, capture is highly unlikely. However, I note that the present NCUC is both small and poorly represented at ICANN meetings --- admittedly for obvious reasons of cost. I see no guarantee that future meetings and business based on the NCUC evolutionary model will be significantly different. What percentage of members of the current NCUC would respond to a call for votes? I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number was 25% or less, and maybe much less. So if the NCSG has more members, will that translate into many more organizational votes? I doubt it. Obviously there is a large difference of opinion between me and the NCUC plan's proponents.

One current evidence of the lack of interest in this subject is the small number of comments that have been filed to date. this in my mind is a rough predictor of future involvement and ov voting response.

My advice is to accept neither plan, but if it is at all possible, somehow give encouragement to the current NCUC group to rethink those aspects of the plan that have been rationally criticized by others, and come up with a better version that attempts to remedy the problems that have been pointed out by its critics.

We are nowhere near even rough consensus on this issue. I believe that closing the door now will leave fractures in the non-commerical community that will be difficult to heal. I see little enefit to proceeding without a better consensus regarding the direction in which we are proceeding. As that famous American philosopher Yogi Berra is reputed to have said, "If you don't know where you're going, any direction will get you there."

George Sadowsky