ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] New 4.1 language

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] New 4.1 language
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:15:03 -0400

If I understand correctly, the issue is not whether the expert advisors provide a hard recommendation or not. I personally believe that they should, but whether or not it is a requirement can be left to the Board to decide and reflect that decision in the contract. It is of course possible that the expert panel cannot come to a decision. But if the final decision is to be based on principles of international law, I find it hard to accept that the expert panel cannot decide, but the Board is supposed to be able to do so. The unspoken issue is that the final decision will be then based on politics... No real surprise.

Nevertheless, the issue here is whether the outcome of that expert panel is called a "decision" which the Board would then have to uphold or overturn, or is called "advice" which the Board can choose to follow or not.

Alan