ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

[soac-mapo] Expert Panel should give recommendation

  • To: "'soac-mapo'" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-mapo] Expert Panel should give recommendation
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:43:44 +0200

Jon Nevett wrote:
The way I understand where we are on the recommendation issue is that the expert
panel should provide advice as to whether or not the string violates the
applicable standard (e.g. "we have reviewed the objection, and based on x we
believe that .tld would be in violation of the second prong of the standard in
the following ways . . . ").

There seems to be more concern over whether or not the panel then should
recommend that the Board take a certain action based on that advice (e.g. "based
on the foregoing, we recommend that the Board accept the objection and
disapprove .tld").
Jon, I believe you capture the distinction well.
Where I (and perhaps Marlyn also) differ is in the belief that the advice is
unlikely to be clear cut.
It is only by forcing your expert to provide a recommendation based upon the
balance of their expert advice, that you get value from the use of the expert.
The Board is ill-equipped to be the expert.

Philip