ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 16:51:37 -0400

On 2 May 2010 12:13, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2 May 2010, at 04:13, Sébastien Bachollet wrote:
>
> > Volunteers (and/or nominations) sought for chair(s) or co-chairs for the
> WG, to be appointed at a future meeting.
>
> > I would like to nominate, to be co-chairs:
> > Avri Doria -  (GNSO – NCSG)
> > and Evan Leibovitch (from ALAC – At-Large - NARALO).
> > All the best
>

> Thanks you for the nomination.  If other people think it is a good idea, I
> will certainly consider it.  I endorse the idea of Evan as one of the
> co-chairs.

Thanks to both of you, and I appreciate the confidence. Avri and I have
worked together in the past and I to am committed to the effort.

My one real concern is that having thought on it for a while I may be a bit
> too much of a champion for the cause as well as for specific issues within
> that cause.  And while I consider myself good at putting my concerns aside
> for neutrality's sake, I also know that it is sometimes impossible to really
> completely do so.

Personally I don't consider it a concern; if it is a significant one than I
too may not be suitable. At-Large has long held the position that the
barriers to entry in TLD space -- as they currently exist -- are
unacceptable, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't fully support that.

Now, having said that... this committee exists to explore how to address the
issue of how to implement a discount or subsidy regime, not to spend forever
debating whether or not to even undertake the exploration. Let's come up
with a workable consensus amongst those who *do* agree about the status quo
being problematic. Then a separate debate will come whether to keep the
status quo or implement the consensus recommendation.

In this context, having the chairs in favour of the concept of discounts or
subsidies for deserving applications is IMO not an impediment to progress.

- Evan