ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

Evan,

I too was thinking about the idea of cost recovery for past efforts and trying
to understand the logic. You say:

It is reasonable to assert that future TLD applicants should not have
to pay for historic inefficiencies or poor decisions by staff, and that
ICANN should not be rewarded for such behaviour. If you allow that "cost
recovery" means specifically covering the direct expense of evaluation
and setup of the specific application, the current fee structure can be
reduced sharply while maintaining fidelity to the mandates.

This seems to make sense.  These past efforts are in essence sunk costs at this
point and as the process moves forward it does not appear that ICANN will be
struggling for resources.  Why not just "write off" these past expenses and
move forward with actual expenses?

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting