ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] charter language

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] charter language
  • From: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:35:02 -0700

Elaine

On May 10, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Elaine,

On 10 May 2010 17:12, Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Apologies for missing the call this morning.

I do have a comment on the charter, specifically Objective 2: To identify how the application fee can be reduced to accommodate applicants that fulfill appropriate criteria to qualify for this benefit. The term "reduced" indicates that the applicant would not have to pay their fair share of the cost of the program.

That is an incorrect assumption. Note that the objective does not assert that "the application fee for *some* can be reduced". By some interpretations, the cost for *all* to apply is too high, set by an inaccurate calculation of costs to be recovered. There is no issue of unfairness if rates for *all* are lowered while maintaining commitment to cost recovery, while the accessibility benefits are still realized.

Are you saying objective 2 is to reduce the fees for all?

In addition, we have identified perspectives that might indicate that certain kinds of applications can be deemed to be simpler to process and thus cost less to ICANN.

I could see how a party with multiple applications might cost ICANN less, for example, one technical review, but it seems a "Disadvantaged" applicant will require more resources and assistance. I guess that is what you mean below?

In such a case, such applications could be argued to be unfairly overpaying, in that they are subsidizing the process for more complex applications

The comments above are just speculation based on comments to date and may not be ultimately reflected in the group's discussion or conclusions. They suggest, however, that there exist approaches to fee reduction that maintain both fairness and commitment to the policy of cost-recovery, that ought to be explored and are within scope.

- Evan