ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Action points - JAS WG call 10 May

  • To: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Action points - JAS WG call 10 May
  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:07:01 +0300

Just sharing a few random thoughts for the two WTs kind consideration.

a)  Supporting small community applications

Problem: Many (linguistically common) communities live across national borders

Propose: Applicants and ccTLD registries jointly conduct preliminary
'marketability' of applicants proposed new gTLDs - thus new
applications bound to reflect most “real” on-the-ground costs.

Liaising with ccNO, these neigbouring ccTLD registries be requested by
ICANN to consider offering cost-recovery based registry services.

b) Supporting larger non-profit community applications

Consider these as global-oriented non-profit, public interest
applicants. Not motivated by making profits, but rather promoting
public interest presence on the domain space. Spend all their surplus
income over expenditures every year supporting, for example,
developing countries participation at ICANN, IGF, online child
protection, etc, etc,

Problem: Addressing continuous funding to many “unprofitable” public
interest internet policy making processes and activities. This has
been a long standing problem because community members with commercial
interests on ICANN policy outcomes participation is ever funded by
their parent institutions. As a result, public interests advocates
participation dwindles over time since only depend on ad hoc support.

Propose:  Propose that ICANN maintains a list of existing large
registries recommended to offer back-office services to such
applicants – avoids costs multiplications, encourages more
applications, optimises on the use of existing infrastructure,

If their 'application fees' are spread over time, (in view of their
non-profit nature and ICANN bylaws 'promotion of public interest'
obligations) ICANN would be achieving two success simultaneously.

c) On high fees for small commercial applicants

Problem: The high fees discourage small applicants, initially may not
foresee a market above, say  a50,000 registrations? The high cost will
hamper innovation.

Propose:
To encourage new gTLD uptake, initiatives similar to b) above be
crafted BUT once registrations exceed  a certain set upper threshold
(e.g. my arbitrary 50,000) then thse domain operators must set up and
operate their own infrastructure and pay up ICANN the balance full
fees all other applicants paid.

Here proposing a framework for actualising the “Equity Principle” -
i.e. 'treating unequals, unequally' – which gives my African
constituency hope of one day growing to become large global commercial
new gTLD operators.

But like I said at the start, these are just some random input thoughts...

kindly,

Alex