ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - Draft agenda for next call

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, Olof Nordling <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - Draft agenda for next call
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 07:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

Evan,

Apologies for not sending this earlier to the group.  Busy morning

Carlos and I had a great talk yesterday as part of
our effort to
give some frame to discussions on who might use/need support and what
forms
that support might take.

Obvious choices for groups receiving support
fell for us
into two baskets:

a)Ethnic and linguistic groups – the Quechua-speaking
community, the Hausa community, members of the Zulus community etc. –
that
have a sense of community identity

b)Communities of interest that are non-profit in
nature – NGOs, churches, associations

Candidates in group a) seemed more
straightforward, as the
groups are fairly self-defined and the rationale behind a gTLD is would in most
cases
be relatively non-controversial.  In some
cases these groups might transition to strong business models, but
support
seemed to make sense to get them through the application process and
perhaps
beyond.

Candidates in group b) might be more
challenging, as ICANN
has shown some reticence in past when it comes to supporting groups with
political
or religious preferences.

Criteria for group a) would seem easier to
identify:
·         Location
·         Goals
·         Level of community support
·         Sustainability model
Additional criteria might be needed for group b) if support
were requested around how representative the group was of their
community, long term viability of the organization, etc.

We noted that many religious institutions and
some large
NGOs could pay the cost if they chose, so support would appear
inappropriate in
these cases as the WG discussion has focused on applicants really
“needing”
support.

ICANN might also wish to consider some outreach
specifically
around the idea of gTLDs in traditionally under-represented markets.  As
Carlos, Baudouin and others have noted,
many possible applicants in Emerging Markets might not have enough
knowledge of
the process to apply, even if there was interest.  We discussed the idea of
creating a pre-qualification workshop and templates that would help potentially
interested
applicants determine real suitability (and help ICANN avoid having to
evaluate under-qualified
proposals).

In terms of the kinds of support, we identified a few areas
for consideration, among them:
·         Legal/documentation – providing support to cover
legal costs or process docs
·         Translation – as this functions as a
disadvantage to many in the non-English speaking world
·         Training – in areas like building a
sustainability plan, marketing, and operations
·         Fees – either reduced fees/subsidies or some
sort of phasing in of fees (pay in tranches)

These were the four big areas for support, but
there are
likely more.  Some of these areas -- such as translation -- would seem to be
easily actionable with limited cost.

What does everyone think?
Andrew and Carlos

PS -- Evan/Avri I will be need to be out on Monday, so Carlos will lead from
our side.  Cheers, A

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting