ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] "WT1" -- Review of the existing application fee structure

  • To: "Evan Leibovitch" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Olof Nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] "WT1" -- Review of the existing application fee structure
  • From: "Anthony Harris" <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:15:29 -0300

Dear colleagues,

I will be unable to participate in Monday's call, since I am in
transit travelling to the LACNIC meeting at the time scheduled.

Perhaps the following can contribute to starting the discussion:

"WT1" -- Review of the existing application fee structure

We have heard comments to the effect that:

- ICANN will be most reluctant to consider reducing the application fee.
  Bringing this subject up would be a waste of our time.

- To push in that direction, could cause ICANN to review the fee and add in
  the additional costs incurred by the emergence of the "overarching issues"
  which have significantly delayed the process, and generated unforeseen
  expenditures.

- It would be unfair to request reduction of fees for some and not for others.

- Etc., etc.

And of course, the GNSO Council has yet to approve the charter as submitted.

While WT2 deliberate on the other issues related to this WG, perhaps a useful
exercise might be to adopt the ICANN document that Olof pointed us to as our
source of information:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/cost-considerations-23oct08-en.pdf

It is not a long document, and I would urge those who are interested in this
discussion to read it.

It basically divides the fee structure as follows:

         1.  New gTLD Program Development Costs
       U$S   26.000
         2.  Fixed and variable Application evaluation costs - Predictable  -
 U$S 100.000
         3.  Variable processing costs - uncertain
              U$S  60.000

Note: Item 2 would actually be U$S 99.000 to arrive at the total Application fee
of U$S 185.000.

>From the few exchanges we have had in the WG on this subject, a suggestion was
made that the cost of Program Development might be waived for selected entities
qualifying for financial assistance. Perhaps some concession might be
justifiable
related to the "uncertain" processing costs (item 3), as well.

We might also want to bear in mind that the total cost of the previous round of
applications, which the document quantifies as $1.8MM for all ten applications,
( $ 180.000 per application), most probably includes costs associated with the
conflict that arose from the rejection of the ".XXX" application, which went on
for quite a while. The actual evaluation and administrative costs for the other
nine applications should have  been considerably less than $ 180.000 per piece.

To summarize, a close look at how the application fee has been constructed
(and explained/justified), could help us all see if there is any potential for
requesting the fee be revisited in line with the results that WT2 come up
with.

Tony Harris