ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WT 1 Fees-lower up front fee

  • To: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WT 1 Fees-lower up front fee
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:11:08 -0400

On 18 May 2010 12:45, Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Continuing the thread from yesterday's call.
>
> Richard suggested that applicants that meet specific criteria for
> assistance may benefit from not having to pay the entire fee up front.
> The language from the cost analysis paper is
>
> "*–* ICANN will collect the entire application
> evaluation fee at the time an application is submitted. This approach
> avoids a situation
> in which the applicant partially completes the application process, then
> may not have
> the resources to continue. It also ensures that all costs are covered.

The ALAC response to this (which I reproduce verbatim from within the
gTLD-related statement produced at the At-Large Summit in Mexico City) is:

*In the place of the proposed system of refunds, we recommend a phased fee
> system under** which an applicant would pay a portion initially and
> additional fees as each milestone is*
> *achieved. While ICANN will still be paid up-front for its evaluations,
> applicants only need** pay for the stages which they are eligible to
> pursue.*

(Page 14 of
http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/correspondence-05mar09-en.pdf)

I don't see why this approach is any less valid now than it was at the time
of the Summit. Each application will already be subject to review regarding
its financial stability and sustainability. There is no need to use the fee
structure to impose a crudely Darwinistic barrier to all but the best-funded
applicants.

Besides the benefits Elaine mentions, a graduated payment system also
eliminates the bureaucracy needed to evaluate and process refund requests.

- Evan