ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TEXT FOR DISCUSSION WT-1

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TEXT FOR DISCUSSION WT-1
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

Carlos and I are working on a draft to outline some of these points in keeping
with our conversation, with excellent inputs from Alex.  So far I can say that
your points track what I believe our consensus, and that the overall goal is to
offer help where help is needed to create access -- as opposed to competing
where there's already adequate finance and competitive demand.  With that in
mind:

1) I think everyone's preference is to offer direct support to groups that
really need it, and to avoid supporting groups who would face competition with
the private sector.  I think your .coffee example is a good one -- if there's a
market there, its hard for me to see value in trying to find support for
non-profit groups to compete against it.

2) To Elaine's point, I think I was the one that brought up the idea that
an applicant might be an NGO, a for profit or some sort of hybrid.
There's also the chance that the applicant might change shape over time, for
example, moving from an NGO to a for profit once a market is
established.  As with everything, I think the key is to make sure we're
putting assistance where it needs to go to provide access and avoid
gaming with some minimal safeguards.  As a general rule, if a group were to
receive support and then make a certain amount of money, we could
recommend that the proceeds be used to repay the ICANN support fund.

3) Finally, to a point you and I discussed in Nairobi which seems to be
appropriate to bring up again now.  Another part of the new gTLD process is
around build out in IDNs. For smaller scripts existing pricing setup might be
just too much --
which creates a risk that the new gTLD  process would further the digital
divide which I know we don't want.  With this in mind I can see value in
creating incentives/bulk pricing to encourage a new gTLD (whether a community
group like .Tamil or even your .coffee example) to build out in multiple IDN
scripts where those scripts might otherwise not be lit up.  This could lead to
a potentially big benefit in terms of language content with limited extra
effort.   Will include this for discussion in WG2's recommendations as a kind
of support, but it also fits into the pricing discussion to some extent.

More to come when I hear back from both Alex and Carlos.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting