ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TEXT FOR DISCUSSION WT-1

  • To: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TEXT FOR DISCUSSION WT-1
  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 19:38:46 +0300

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carlos and I are working on a draft to outline some of these points in
> keeping with our conversation, with excellent inputs from Alex.  So far I
> can say that your points track what I believe our consensus, and that the
> overall goal is to offer help where help is needed to create access -- as
> opposed to competing where there's already adequate finance and competitive
> demand.  With that in mind:
>
> 1) I think everyone's preference is to offer direct support to groups that
> really need it, and to avoid supporting groups who would face competition
> with the private sector.  I think your .coffee example is a good one -- if
> there's a market there, its hard for me to see value in trying to find
> support for non-profit groups to compete against it.

As on call just now agreed Kindly update 1) as per our discussions. many
thanks.

> 2) To Elaine's point, I think I was the one that brought up the idea that
> an applicant might be an NGO, a for profit or some sort of hybrid.  There's
> also the chance that the applicant might change shape over time, for
> example, moving from an NGO to a for profit once a market is established.
> As with everything, I think the key is to make sure we're putting assistance
> where it needs to go to provide access and avoid gaming with some minimal
> safeguards.  As a general rule, if a group were to receive support and then
> make a certain amount of money, we could recommend that the proceeds be used
> to repay the ICANN support fund.
>
> 3) Finally, to a point you and I discussed in Nairobi which seems to be
> appropriate to bring up again now.  Another part of the new gTLD process is
> around build out in IDNs. For smaller scripts existing pricing setup might
> be just too much -- which creates a risk that the new gTLD process would
> further the digital divide which I know we don't want.  With this in mind I
> can see value in creating incentives/bulk pricing to encourage a new gTLD
> (whether a community group like .Tamil or even your .coffee example) to
> build out in multiple IDN scripts where those scripts might otherwise not be
> lit up.  This could lead to a potentially big benefit in terms of language
> content with limited extra effort.   Will include this for discussion in
> WG2's recommendations as a kind of support, but it also fits into the
> pricing discussion to some extent.

On 3) this a perfect example that would not only promote a community
application, but also incentivise promotion of IDNs would be Ethiopia's
Amharic script-expecting no conflict with brand claims. Such support would
be most welcome as a way of promoting indigenous African content on the web
in a non-latin script. The few Ethiopians I've spoken to at a personal level
welcome the idea. ICANN support here would go where its most needed to a
community that may never have financial muscle to apply for an IDN gTLD.

Other communities of consideration would be one at the risk of extinction in
Nigeria-last time I heard they were only 10,000 members. Another Kenyan one
was also recently reported by  the media. In these two examples, ICANN would
be preserving and promoting those communities cultures.