ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement

  • To: "'Michele Neylon :: Blacknight'" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:37:14 +0100

Michele,

Why should entrepreneurs get support from the ICANN community?

Sorry - I'm just not seeing that as being in scope

I don't have any issue with the others, but that one jars on me. If the
business model isn't viable and doesn't fit into one of the other categories
you listed, then why should we subsidise it?

It’s the African Community point of view. They believe that for applicants
from countries where the market is not wide enough for a reasonable profit
making industry (like African countries) should be helped to apply for gTLDs
that they consider as a source of development for their countries. They
think the new gTLD program inclusiveness, mentioned in the Board resolution
20 as a goal of this action wouldn’t be achieved if those people are not
supported.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231