ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:06:31 -0400

Hi,

Adding a personal opinion with co-chair hat off.

I think that a lot of our assumptions about profitability are based on the
level of wealth in particular economy.  And our assumptions that entrepreneurs
are fat cats is most local (I know it looks that way to me a lot of the time).
The fees set by ICANN are based on the assumptions of rich people from a rich
region (most of the salaries of those deciding on fair pricing could fund a
whole village on their salaries - some could fund a city - ok, slight hyperbole
there - but)

For a small group in an impoverished region to start building a business, the
initial fees and recurring fees are prohibitive.  Their income is  lower, their
local costs are lower, their profit making expectations are much lower and
there view of what it means to be rich is lower - breaking even is a good thing
and allows survival of the business and those responsible for the business.

The current pricing (to use one IMF metric) is based on the per capita income
of the 6th richest country.  This may still be in scope for the 9th richest
country (Ireland).  However for the country at the 148th position (Kenya) this
might be prohibitive even though the country gives every appearance of being a
reasonable place to expect a new registry to thrive (i.e there is a viable
market, there is a talent base and there is an Internet culture - I only list
Kenya and not other countries not to favor them but because we have seen the
culture first hand).

Encouraging  competition is one of the ICANN key values.  While I am a member
of the non-commercial sector in ICANN and thus am particularly keen to push for
the assistance of the non profit, I recognize that the mainstay of the
registry/registrar world are the businesses that compete.  To me, that means,
that we should also be offering the hand up to the budding entrepreneur from a
developing region.  I  think we have to be careful with the criteria we use for
choosing and we have to include obligations for eventual repayment of services
or a helping hand once the entrepreneurial enterprise is on its feet.

One last consideration.  If we insist that only entrepreneurs who can afford LA
prices should be allowed to create registries in developing regions, we will be
encouraging the neo-colonialism of investment - only those from the top tier of
financial regions will be able to participate. I personally do not think this
is an outcome we should be facilitating.

a.