ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:14:13 -0400

Michele,

These are just my personal thoughts.

First, as a policy document, its authors may have chosen to be inclusive to actors smaller than communities, civil society, NGOs, ... rather than have two, or more policy documents. A policy draft recommended on the basis of consensus by its contributors would be likely to have a broader view than one based on majority or plurality or minority support.

Second, on the order of two dozen entrepreneurs have been supported by ICANN, the beneficiaries of the 2000 and 2004 new gTLD rounds, by being selected by the subjective criteria of those points in ICANN's history, and they, as well as the legacy monopoly incumbent, are non contributors to applicants, entrepreneur or not, who may be selected by the subjective criteria of this point in ICANN's history. In the 2000 and 2004 rounds, through the application of subjective criteria, all of ICANN's new gTLD beneficiaries were domiciled in North America and Western Europe. It seems reasonable for ICANN, and necessary for any regional policy proposal author located elsewhere, to recommend changes to the locus of regional preference.

Third, the viability of business models for new registries is not subject to objective analysis. The empirical approach in 2000 allowed for experiments such as .pro, which has yet to succeed. Limiting the use of empirical test subsequent to 2000 both limits what can be known about new gTLD models, and the beneficiaries of that knowledge.

Eric