ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:36:31 -0400

I wish to suggest that this particular point is necessary, but may not be sufficient:

o Linguistic, by translating all the application documents, especially
the Applicant Guidebook, in the six UN languages

The DAG has been, since the 2000 round, written for a particular class of readers, and has promoted responsive writings (applications) which are also written for a particular class of readers. I made the point to the Board at Rome in 2004 that they (as the authors of the AG) were forcing us (the authors of applications) to write verbose fictions. I don't mind if anyone observes that some of the winners of those rounds make an art out of verbose fiction.

Rather than placing the focus on translating text already written, I suggest the focus could be on writing better text, and translating that.

Even this however may not be sufficient. A significant amount of the mailing list and verbal communication of vital interest to applicants is conducted in a manner that must be very challenging to persons who are non-native English speakers. The volume, the pace, the absence of awareness and accommodation, and the choices of venues, make present policy development less accessible. As participation in some policy issue venues that may modify the DAG may also be vital to applicants, making it accessible as a process, rather than just the final work product, as a text translated from the English, could be a goal.

I made these points in public comment on outreach. I'm fortunate I don't have to translate the DAG into a North American Indian language, though French is obligitoire for Indians in Quebec. But having worked with the Arabic League recently, and China since 2000, the hidden cost of language seems to me significant.

It just occurred to me, having written "the hidden cost of ..." that every applicant that is outside the current ICANN bubble has a hidden cost of having a highly educated (in English, and American law) member of staff, and that could be a credit against fees, just as ICANN has costed in having staffing each fractional application year (originally $75k/yr, now $25k/yr).

Eric