ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:06:51 -0400

I too really appreciate Danny's pointing out the apparent discrepency between the Registry Failover language and the Registry Continuity language.

I don't think it matters greatly if one observes, as I have, that the continuity cost is the renewal rate transaction density, or 3 db dips per day per thousand registrations, plus keeping the nearly static zone file from expiry, plus servicing the odd legitimate takedown request, and keeping the nearly static whois and zonefile data publication feeds running, plus generating nearly unchanging reports to ICANN, or not a lot of cost, or as Danny observes, that "Continuity" is an event bounded by a three-month horizon, or two times that just to be safe.

Either way, it works out to a lot less than several hundred thousand dollars in escrow in a US bank from the date of application to three years after delegation, or on the order of five elapsed years.

Eric