ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Updates on SOI/DOIs

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Updates on SOI/DOIs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:39:38 -0400

Hi,

Though this group is a joint WG of the ALAC and the GNSO, we are operating
under a charter that requires:

> The Working Group will operate according to the interim working group
> guidelines set out in the Draft Working guidelines of 5 Feb 2010

These working group guidelines
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/proposed-working-group-guidelines-05feb09-en.pdf>
 include the following statement:

> Statement of Interest1 Template
> [Editorial Note: As developed by the OSC GNSO Operations Work Team. To be
> cross-referenced and updated once Operations Work Team has finalized the
> language]

At last week's GNSO Council meeting, the council approved new GNSO Operating
Procedures (v2.0; 5 August 2010)
<http://gnso.icann.org/council/gnso-op-procedures-05aug10-en.pdf>

Section 5 of these procedures covers Statements of Interest and Declarations of
Interest.

> Statement of Interest:  Relevant to membership of the GNSO Group.  A written
> statement made by a Relevant Party that provides a declaration of direct and
> indirect interests that may affect, or be perceived to affect, the Relevant
> Party's judgment, on any matters to be considered by the GNSO Group.
>
> Disclosure of Interest:  Relevant to a specific issue at a specific time.  A
> written statement made by a Relevant Party of direct and indirect interests
> that may be commercial (e.g. monetary payment) or non-commercial (e.g.
> non-tangible benefit such as publicity, political or academic visibility) and
> may affect, or be perceived to affect, the Relevant Party's judgment on a
> specific issue.

I have attached a PDF of an except from the GNSO Operating Procedures that the
Staff has kindly provided on the SOI/DOI requirements.

I ask that each of the members take note of these updated requirements, and
update their SOI as necessary.  If a DOI is required, e.g. if someone is
working with a group that plans to apply for the specific benefits we are
discussing, please submit a statement to the group to that effect.

I remind people that having an interest is _not_ a problem and does not affect
anyone's participation, that is the intent of the multistakeholder process,
most everyone of us has some stake, i.e. interest.  The concern is that
everyone's interest be known, i.e.we have a requirement for transparency.

I also point out paragraph 5.2 in the attached SOI/DOI guide:

> 5.4.2            Duty to Remind Participants and Speakers
>
> a.     The GNSO Council Chair or Vice-Chairs, Working Group Chair, Work Team
> Chair, Committee Chair, or Chair of any other organization formed by the GNSO
> shall remind all participants to provide Disclosures of Interest and updates
> to Disclosures of Interest at the beginning of each meeting during which the
> Relevant Parties will discuss or act upon the specific matter(s) to which the
> disclosure pertains and such disclosures shall be recorded in the minutes of
> that meeting.  Participants should be polled individually by the Chair to
> ensure that all updates to respective Disclosures of Interest have been
> received and those responses shall be recorded in all minutes.  At that time,
> anyone who has a question about the interpretation or meaning of a Relevant
> Party’s Disclosure of Interest may petition the Chair to request
> clarification from the Relevant Party.  Concerns related to the accuracy
> and/or completeness of a Disclosure of Interest are addressed in Paragraph
> 5.5.
> b.     At the beginning of any ICANN public meeting, forum, or discussion
> being coordinated and/or moderated by the GNSO, the person acting as Chair or
> coordinator of the public meeting, forum, or discussion shall encourage all
> speakers to provide Disclosures of Interest prior to beginning their remarks.

I would note that as a member of the OSC WT that came up with these rules, I
was a bit squeamish about the need to poll all members at every meeting.
However, I lost on this topic and the requirements does call for the polling at
each meeting.  I think this may be best done in combination with the taking of
attendance at the beginning of the meeting, so I suggest that we try this out
at the start of our next meeting.  I beg the group's indulgence on getting by
any awkwardness the introduction of the new practices may cause.

Thanks

a.

Note my updated SOI can always be found at:
<http://psg.com/~avri/Avri_Doria-soi.html>. I do not currently have an
interests that would require a DOI, i.e. none of the clients I am advising
would be eligible for the services we are discussing.