ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] DOODLE / Second weekly call

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] DOODLE / Second weekly call
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:47:04 -0400

Hi,

Is that time good for you or bad for you.

the preferences for people really vary.

I prefer meetings between 2100 and 0100 so that my work day is free.  I know
people who prefer the meeting be 0600-0800 so they can get them out of the way
early.  I know people who refuse to have meeting 1800 - 2000 because the is
family dinner time.  I know people who can only do them if they fall during the
work day and some who can only do them if they don't.

This is one of the reasons why I personally prefer rotating times and sharing
the pain (whatever amounts to pain for the varied set individuals), but most
people prefer regular meetings at regular times.   Another group i am in did a
poll of varying the times for painsharing, and the idea did very badly.

The inability for some people to attend meeting regularly is also one of the
reason why the work on the mailing list is critical.  And one of the reason why
just one reading/review of a text is not sufficient - you can't be sure
everyone is paying attention at the right moment unless there are a number of
possibilities.

The problem with the doodle method for choosing a time is it is majority based.
 And if the majority of people in the group have the same preference they
prevail.  As we do global outreach and get one person from a place, that person
is generally in a minority and ends up meeting at weird times.  When I live in
S. Korea, all my teleconferences fell between 2300 and 0400.

a.