ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TR: bundling

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TR: bundling
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:55:25 -0400

Richard,

My view is that the framework that Peter and Paul first approached this problem (or told Edmon and I to piss off), that a second string is a second application, was poorly informed.

Whether we blame the Unicode Consortium, or the IETF, or Chris Despain (who's learned since) for the one-script-per rule of the ccTLD IDN FT, or Peter and Paul (now Rod, who's views are not known to me), the notion that a competent application for a two character string for Chinese users must pay two (best case) to four (worst case) times any applicant for a Latin Script label amounts to an extra cost for Chinese serving applicants.

The situation is even graver in the Indian Sub-Continent, where one state (India) alone has 11 official scripts and 22 official languages, and all of the adjacent states have two or more official scripts and two or more official languages.

Peter and Paul thought that Edmon and I were trying to cheat them (Peter and Paul) out of their deserved revenue. I don't know if Peter's changed his views, but it was pretty disconcerting at the Delhi meeting to be told we were just a bunch of crooks looking to cheat ICANN.

<brave_hat="on">
I _assert_ that an application is not for a string, but for the namespace resources that will serve, and not harm, the registrants and the users of their domain registrations.

An application by a community, or an institution serving a community, which uses two or more linguistically distinct identifiers, such as a pan-Indian "reproductive health" in the Indian Sub-Continent, is not complete if the request is only for the resource in Standard Hindi in Devanagari script. The _sectarian_ preference for Hindi speakers over all others would _harm_ the the registrants and the users of their domain registrations.

In contrast, an application for namespace resources sufficient to meet the needs of investment banking, polo clubs, law and foreign investment would not be incomplete if the requested resources was for a single string in Standard Hindi in Devanagari script and a single string in UK English in Latin Script.. There would be no harm.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India#Official_languages

As our charter is need, which is both material and linguistic, we can inform the Board that access to basic health and literacy in plural societies is remarkably different from Verisign trying to sew up all the ways to say ".com".

It may make sense to "bundle" two or more applications that share some property, such as being made using the same resources (front or back), which _may_ take the form of two or more applications for similar strings, but that is ICANN's general problem in recognizing two or more applications have some shared property, possibly allowing a savings to be identified.

But this is distinct from the special case of material need and linguistic plurality among the communities for which service is to be delivered without harming them, without imposing a language-loss policy because the fee the distant monolinguals charge is too great to pay.
<brave_hat="off">

I know that is longer than "+1". "Bundling" is outside of our scope. Finding "plurality of language coupled with need" is within our scope.

Eric