ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TR: bundling

  • To: <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] TR: bundling
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:24:55 +0100

Eric and Richard,

As you know, I was absolutely against any support to a second or third
string for the same applicant even if it’s in non ASCII script. The reason
is that I find this opportunity a chance for the needy applicants to get
some support for their applications, and  I notice that there is a tendency
in the group for making the number of eligible applicants small. My main
objective is to make the resolution 20 the most useful for the possible
maximum number of needy applicants. And I find that it’s not fair to support
a single applicant for 2 strings while others will not apply because they
can’t bear the heavy load of the Application cost.

At the end of the last Friday call, Andrew proposed that we work together on
a language that will be acceptable for both of us.

On Monday, we had a skype conversation, and I explained that outside of the
scope of our WG, I already expressed my support to a reduced price for a
second string in non ASCII character as it was done for the IDN ccTLD fast
track. So, I agree with Andrew on the principle of encouraging the entry of
underserved languages in the root. But I couldn’t accept to give them any
support because it will be subtracted from the resources we try to find for
the needy applicants. Andrew explained that no material support will be
provided; only support their position to get bundled prices from ICANN.

Andrew proposed a draft that I modified to make it clear that our support
will not weaken the support to the needy applicants.

I propose to add a paragraph after the last recommendation of work team 1
that will get the consensus to express our support in general to the bundled
pricing that will have no impact on our efforts of supporting the needy
applicants. I’m sure the proposed text is perfectible.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231