ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] writing exercise.

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] writing exercise.
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:59:07 -0400

nits:
@97, change "main" to "sole" (or we should figure out what the non-main criteria are, or
@98, change "a need" to "the needs" (note the plural, see @97, above)
@102, add "or other need" before "has" (again the plural/@97 issue)

@108, change "in" to "for"
@109, add "to" before "serve"

non-nit:
@113-115, a reading of "portfolio managers who's brands are active in narrow markets are eligible" follows from the parenthetical exception. Personally I don't think there is any reason to have private namespaces, nor to additionally award brands with resources intended for the public.

nit:
@122, capitalize "this"

non-nits:
@129,130 the beneficiary of both governmental and this WG recommended support is limited to Community applicants. See the prioritization discussion.

@132-135 the association is revenues above support. I suggest revenues above cost (profit) is a better choice, and to support the own growth of the recipient, a multiple greater than 1.0 be used to determine a basis for payment into the revolving fund.

nit:
@137 capitalize "guide book"

non-nit:
@149 the apparent issue is _a_ (singular) minority language. This is both covered in the (now unlabled) (a)-(e) list of non-prioritized beneficiaries of the program, and the better sense of the issue is not _a_ (singular) language, but cases where an applicant can not, without harm to the community, exclude language(s) due to ICANN fees.

@153-166 please see the if-then text I sent earlier today, which recites the proposal I've offered previously.

non-nit:
@153 the limitation to IDNs overlooks all language communities which have accommodated to the imposition of Latin Script, and use Latin Script to encode non-Latin languages.

non-nit:
@154-156 the proposal is not specific to applicants meeting the needs criteria (or any other as yet unnamed criteria) for aid, and is general in nature. No Thanks!

non-nit:
@154-156 the proposal is limited to "a second IDN", which is insufficient to meet the needs of plural language communities, e.g., a wacking big hung of South Asia.

nit:
@155, delete the "." before "or"
@160, delete the trailing "."

I'm sure I missed some nits and non-nits (which are in the eye of the beholder).

Eric