ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - list of Open Issues

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - list of Open Issues
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:40:03 -0700

Dear all:

Please see below a list of open issues captured based on our last meeting.
Please let me know if anything is missing or incorrect.
There are some names associated with the topics. Those individuals were suppose
to provide language for the group discussions and eventually final report.

Thank you,

Karla

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.       Is regional basis a criteria for receiving aids?

2.       Clarifications on proposed development director role. Is this a staff
hire? Is this a full time resource?

3.       Clarifications on proposed development funds - what are the basis for
the 10 M?

4.       Issue of bundling and the scope of our work. There is no unanimity.
Should keep bundling in the final report - even if we note that there's some
disagreement over the details or utility -let the Board determine if it was or
wasn't in scope.  Should we consider Richard's proposal: "the bundling discount
should not apply to corporate applicants who clearly have sufficient funds to
pay the regular application fee" - Alan with help from Andrew

On the ''bundling'' discussion, based on our desire to come forward with a
consensus formula that both promotes more access in underserved languages and
yet also avoids some of the possible unintended consequences/gaming
opportunities noted by Eric, Richard and others, Richard and I worked up the
following formulation: That in place of ''bundled'' support for IDN build out
the WG would recommend a simplified ''direct'' package of cost reductions to
incentivize IDN build out in underserved scripts for all applicants, whether
national or international, NGO or private, on the following basis:For scripts
with 1-10 million native users, a 60% discount from the typical price of a new
gTLD. For scripts with 10-50 million native users, a 40% discount. For scripts
with 50-100 million native users, a 20% discount. No discount is recommended
for scripts with more than 100 million users, as they are considered large
enough to constitute a strong market in the near term and thus support would be
better focused on script groups t

5.       Work on 3.3.10 (from ADDENDA - Summary/Analysis of Public Comment)
underserved scripts - Andrew with help from Rafik, Richard

6.       Work on 3.3.11 (from ADDENDA - Summary/Analysis of Public Comment)
indentified as needing rewording, but last e-mail exchanges agree no further
language will be proposed?   Alan with help from Richard, Andrew. Andrew will
produce language so we can close the issue.

7.       Work on 3.3.9 (from ADDENDA - Summary/Analysis of Public Comment)
add wording regarding policy and impact on current TLDs not aligned with
self-funding policy goal.

8.       Tijani comment on Excerpt (lines 58- 61): the funds should be
distributed with special consideration for the applications coming from the
developing countries as explicitly mentioned in the resolution 20. Indeed, if
we would specify a certain priority, we should do it to the applicants from
developing countries, not to any other community.

9.       Tijani comment on Excerpt (lines 67-69): is it fare that one single
applicant get support from several parties while others couldn't apply because
of their need?
        On Line 68: is it in our mission to recommend aids for all applicants,
out of the ones meeting the criteria of eligibility?

10.   Tijani comment on Excerpt (lines 109-110): Entrepreneurs coming from and
serving a developing market .......

>From Notes - I am not clear about this:

Sentence bracket 245-246 - One possible changes  The Recom. to prioritize
ethnic, linguistic [and cultural] groups is valid for the current round  ... in
possible future rounds.

Drop 261, 262

We are gratified to read of N's & B (several providers) commitment to assist in
this process and encourage ...
272 add substantive comments

391-396  reword for prioritization.

475 - 488   out of scope.

522 - not out of scope?  what is scope of recommendation?  we can endorse the
idea for all applicants but it is not in our mission.

we recommend a shorter period. - more discvussion.