ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] new gtld budget comments relevant to our work

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] new gtld budget comments relevant to our work
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:50:52 -0700

All,

These are comments sent to the New gTLD Proposed Budget Public Forum relevant
to our work. This is just an FYI.

Kind regards,

Karla

Bundled applications--lower application fees.  Bundled applications should have
lower fees for extra languages. ICANN should reduce the cost for extra
non-Latin IDNs. There can be obstacles for global businesses in using Latin
characters.   Also, my company which is Russian does not want to use a ccTLD
like .ru or .rf because it does not prefer to appear as only a Russian company.
S. Cimatoribus (29 June 2010).

ICANN fee setting discussion requested; impact of registry fees on developing
countries and cultural and linguistic gTLD applicants.  In what forum can the
ICANN community engage in a discussion about how ICANN sets and collects fees
from registry operators? There is an anomaly between the fees that existing
gTLD registries pay (e.g., .museum) and the fees that prospective gTLD registry
operators will have to pay to ICANN. Why is ICANN proposing to impose a 500%
increase in the annual registry cost to register 50,000 domain names? These
unjustified, substantial fee increases by ICANN may pose a barrier to entry for
some developing countries or for smaller cultural/linguistic community-based
TLDs from developed and developing countries. The GAC has identified this
important public policy issue in their most recent communiqué. M. Palage (7
July 2010, restating previously submitted April 2010 budget comment).