ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Revison 2.17-2 - updated

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Revison 2.17-2 - updated
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:04:01 +0200

Hi,

Added another FAQ item, 4.6, to respond the blog accusing the group of having
pulled the figure of $10M out of a hat
(http://icannology.blogspot.com/2010/10/pulling-numbers-out-of-hat.html).

Not sure people will agree with my accounting, please look it over.  Further
estimates and tuning of the explanation invited.

Also spent some time on the plane thinking about an explanation for why we
think the financial continued operations requirements should be decreased from
3 years to 1 or less. While I understand that it is a barrier to entry, I am
not sure I have an explanation for why it should be lowered for those who have
financial need.  I tend to see it something that people may need help with and
perhaps a guarantee fund in addition to the suggestion on risk groups should be
suggested as remedies.  And tough I am sure that it is because I just did not
understand, but I do not have an argument for why the registrants and users of
a qualifying applicant merit a lower  commitment to continuity.  I have not
problem with the logic of this as a general program issue, but don't understand
what is specific to the support program.  So this is one I won't be writing,
and if someone want this explained in the faq, they should write it.

BTW, I am _not_ suggesting it be taken out, just that I can't explain it.  We
have consensus on it, so someone must be able to explain.

a.