ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the continuity instrument

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the continuity instrument
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:02:16 -0500

Colleagues,

I took the opportunity to talk with Patrick Jones about the continuity instrument, consistent with my comments on DAGv5.

See: http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00064.html

I will follow-up.

Coincidentally, as I prepare a issue summary from the GAC communique(s) I noticed this:

2.6 It is important that the selection process for new gTLDs ensures the security, reliability, global interoperability and stability of the Domain Name System (DNS) and promotes competition, consumer choice, geographical and service provider diversity.

Clearly the unintended effect of a high cost continuity instrument will reduce geographical and service provider diversity, particularly if the repertoire of facilities based technical service providers is limited to Reston, Toronto, Dortmund, Melbourne, Santa Monica and Brussels.

I also noticed this:

2.11 ICANN and a new gTLD operator/registry should establish clear continuity plans for maintaining the resolution of names in the DNS in event of registry failure. These plans should be established in coordination with any contingency measures adopted for ICANN as a whole.

It is interesting that the GAC notion of continuity is limited to resolution, a requirement which could be met by simply freezing a registry's zone file and ensuring that it does not expire, as was done during the .ht failure. The cost of a freeze-and-republish-only mode of continuity is fairly low, even for years of continuity.

Eric