ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Some areas of work ...

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Some areas of work ...
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:51:09 -0500

On 18 Jan 2011, at 12:02, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> 3. Starting the process of defining a development role and development
> targets for this and subsequent new gTLD application rounds.
>
> 4. Starting the process of doing "the ask", initially among the bylaws
> entities that have the resources identified in #2, above, such as ccTLD
> hosting or continuity commitment, ASO network addresses and bandwidth
> resources, ... and directly afterward externally for commitments of any kind,
> whether hardware, staff, loans or grants.

I am interested in starting work immediately on a subset of these tasks:
specifically:  Raising funds and setting up a properly governed fund to
administer and distribute these funds.

If this work is prohibited in the JAS WG, I will do it with the ALAC group -
should there be an ALAC group.
If this work is done neither in the JAS nor in the new ALAC-WG, then I am
interested in doing it separately.

I.e as I said in the blog on CircleID
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/what_new_gtlds_mean_for_developing_economy_applicants/>
 it is time to start getting pledges, time to make this a public campaign.
Without funding to help deserving applicants from developing regions, the ICANN
new gTLD program will not meet ICANN obligations of being in the global  public
good.

I wonder who in the group is willing to work with me on this - whether as part
of the JAS group, if that is allowed by our chartering masters, or
independently if it is not?  To be honest, this is the first time I have ever
embarked on such a campaign, but I am looking for some experienced people to
help, but otherwise will just let research and enthusiasm push me forward and
see how far I get - its got to be better than doing nothing.

cheers,

a.