ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Some areas of work ...

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Some areas of work ...
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:02:43 -0500

Colleagues,

Following up on the suggestion I made during the call when I realized that external expertise could meet a part of the 1(a) knowledge requirement, but not all of it.

1. Estimating the per-component cost of a self-contained, self-sustained registry, and metrics for determination of "need".

We know the TAS fee is $5,000, the application fee is $180,000, and there are additional possible fees.

We know the general form of the continuity instrument, though this is on the TDG-Legal agenda for the 27th, and you've all had a chance to see my questions.

We can solicit input from the members of the RySG who've indicated an interest in assisting -- Caroline Hoover (.coop), Jordi Iparraguirre (.cat), etc., and possibly others, who can put their costing experience for a variety of implementation choices at our disposal.

At some point we have a "bag" of costs, and some sequence of when the costs occur, and how some of them can be minimized.

Then we can ask, "what fraction of those resources is sufficient?"

Continuing with 1(a) to 1(b) ...

2. This allows us to "spreadsheet" the individual cost components and the creative ways these can be implemented, through non-cash assistance and through cash assistance.

And specific to 1(c) ...

3. Starting the process of defining a development role and development targets for this and subsequent new gTLD application rounds.

4. Starting the process of doing "the ask", initially among the bylaws entities that have the resources identified in #2, above, such as ccTLD hosting or continuity commitment, ASO network addresses and bandwidth resources, ... and directly afterward externally for commitments of any kind, whether hardware, staff, loans or grants.

Eric