ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Taking the "jointly, but differently" question to Counsel

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Taking the "jointly, but differently" question to Counsel
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:25:23 -0500

Colleagues,

I'd like the question of what "jointness" means when two bylaws entities charter an activity, but their respective charters differ on some substantive issue.

I think the question will come up again, as "jointness" is a model that is likely to be used by others.

While there is the difference issue to the chartering organizations, in the present instance, the ALAC and the GNSO, which may do as each pleases, the chartering organizations are only responsible for their respective processes and their resulting charter(s). They are not the sole parties responsible for Accountability and Transparency arising from their "jointness", nor for any work product arising from their "jointness", only for the acceptance or rejection of their co-chartered activities.

I think this working group, as it is aware that its "jointness" is now unsettled, can, and should, inform Counsel and request an opinion.

It may be that "jointness" has no place in ICANN under the bylaws, and that the best that can be managed is joint meetings among the severally chartered work groups, as many bylaws entities currently practice, e.g., the GAC-Board meeting at Cartagena.

Eric