ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: [] Updated Agenda for 27 January Consultation

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: [] Updated Agenda for 27 January Consultation
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:20:55 -0500

On 1/24/11 5:17 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:
The trademark community have supported a COI like the one currently in the AG

INTA,  for example, asked that it cover "5 to 7 years of registry operation"
(rather than the current 3 years)

Thank you. I missed that.

I wonder how much of this is driven by their anticipation of defensive registration.

It should be "none", since when the registry fails, all of its registrations, of marks for publication, of marks for non-publication, and near-marks, whether by marks holders or by marks squatters, also fail.

For applications with proposed registration policies which bar non-community trademark registrations (those identified as "community-based" which are structured to score 14/16), I don't see how the marks holders have any interest in the longevity of their investments, since they're not investing.

So if the registration policy does not allow the exploitation of marks, and therefore drive defensive registrations, the marks interest in a COI should be greatly diminished.

Like many of the costs built into the TLD evaluation process/ registry business
operations,   the COI is  supported by the trademark lobby.  There are many,
many other
'protections' built into the process that add to applicant cost.

More please.

RT

Eric