ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Report on the Temporary Drafting Group (Legal) call of 1/27

• To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Report on the Temporary Drafting Group (Legal) call of 1/27
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:37:57 -0500

Colleagues,

Sorry to have missed today's 1300 (8am EST) call, I'd not updated my schedule for Friday SOAC calls, which occurred at 1500 (10am EST).

I don't know if, or when, a transcript of yesterday's Temporary Drafting Group (Legal) will be available.

The agenda was re-ordered and the Continuity Instrument issue was first on the revised agenda.

Kurt Pritz spoke for several minutes on the thinking that went into the formation of the COI draft, more than a year ago.

The first intervention was by Jeff Neuman of NeuStar. In his example NeuStar has several own-or-client applications.

Is one (1) COI sufficient?

There was discussion, and ICANN legal staff was somewhat supportive of reducing the COI requirement for NeuStar's scenario.

I commented that applications are evaluated independently, the source of several "bundling" requests, e.g., for IDNs, for fee reduction proportionate to non-duplication of evaluation cost, etc. and that a "shared" COI, while attractive, violated the application evaluation process model which has each application evaluated independently.

Related was the issue of actual cost of continuity. The ICANN staff member who spoke to that issue, Francisco Arias, argued that there is some incremental cost for each continuity. I offered the opinion that platform operators would set the incremental internal cost to zero and for competitive reasons would "include the COI at little or no cost" when soliciting registry backend technical support business from would-be applicants.

ICANN legal staff indicated that they would reflect on the question of multiple COIs for a single multi-applicant.

Aside: Bundled COIs through registry backend technical support vendors could help needs-qualified applicants, but it is likely that a precondition would be sole-source registry backend technical support contracts. See the Names Council's charter and its limitation on non-fungible forms of assistance.

The second intervention was by myself. In prior mail you have seen the issues and suggestions I've circulated. Karen Lentz of ICANN legal provided responses via email to two sets of issues an hour prior to the meeting. I made the point that the registrant protection did not go far enough, as it did not preserve the registration policy, allowing .travel like repurposing (from travel agents to unrestricted).

ICANN staff responded that the respective communities and public administrations for community-based and geographic registries "in continuity" will have an opportunity to comment on the designation of the continuity operator.

Aside: I don't think this is sufficient, but it is better than nothing.

Continuing my intervention, I mentioned designation of regional ccTLD operators, or other operators, as an alternative to a financial instrument.

Here the Staff response was surprising. First, the abandonment of the "Certified Registry Backend Provider" program was offered as a rational for limiting the means of continuity to a funded instrument only, though ICANN never offered a public explaination for the abandonment of that program (I was involved), and the contract between the applicant and the designated continuity provider might be fictive.

Aside: Elsewhere in the agenda the contractual obligations upon third parties, in particular subcontractors was discussed at length, and the ICANN legal staff position was that these are not fictive and may be enforced. This is worth a follow-up on both points.

Continuing my intervention, I mentioned applicant formed and funded insurance pools.

Here again the Staff response was surprising. The staff hypothesized that all of the applicants in a risk pool might fail simultaneously, leaving all of the failed registries lacking any form of continuity.

Aside: Not the subject of any agenda item, but present within the overall contractual envelope, are insurance requirements for the applicants. This too is worth a follow-up.

The remainder of the issues were without direct substance to the cost to needs qualified applicants, and so I omit them in this report. Of only potential interest was the final item, the methodology for SLA measurement, which up until now has been at the point of service (at the registry operator public network interface), and is now conceptualized (somewhat vaguely) as from an arbitrary point on the net. I will follow this for pure geekishness reasons, and if there is a means to prevent qualified applicant cost from increase, or cause its decrease, I'll update.

Overall, the Staff awareness of the rational basis for lower cost than originally conjectured has increased, and their willingness to consider alternatives that would facilitate applications from less developed economies has increased.

Cheers,
Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy