ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG - Jan 25 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG - Jan 25 2011
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 05:20:53 -0800

Thanks,

Karla Valente
+1 310 936 4639

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karla Valente
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:56 AM
To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint
SO/AC WG - Jan 25 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:54 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Karla Valente:Dear all, welcome to the January 25 JAS WG call.
  CLO:I'm still on the ccNSO  Council call will join telecon  when it finishes
but  watch chatter here till then
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:hi Cheryl
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:very very long day for you
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:5 calls
  CLO:yes  Tijani  and I'm afraid  I'm not at all well either :-(
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:what happens ?
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:I hope you are well
  Dave Kissoondoyal:hello all
  Gisella Gruber-White:Please remember *6 to mute and *6 to unmute
  Gisella Gruber-White:Alan Greenberg has joined the call
  Sébastien:@CLO hope you will be better soon
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i've been dropped, dialing back in and paying the usual
2 minute tax spelling my name
  Gisella Gruber-White:Andrew Mack has joined the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Rafik sends his apology - he has an issue with his phone
and is not able to join today.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Tony Harris has joined the call
  Carlton Samuels:I'm now on, thanks
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:it was also suggested that we invite ccNSO and GAC
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:to join
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@olivier, thanks for the report
  Olivier Crépin-Leblond:you're welcome :-)
  avri:i'm here.
  avri:and i am still GNSO/NCSG
  avri:We could also just send a note back to the Council and say we reject
their charter.
  Olivier Crépin-Leblond:"We" as intheJAS WG?
  Carlton Samuels:@avri my position really!
  avri:that it is inadeqaute and we want to have a discussions and an
explanation of whay they rejected our suggestions.
  avri:and in the meantime we could just work on the items.
  Carlton Samuels 3:+1
  Carlton Samuels 3:to Alan
  Andrew Mack:go forward!
  Eric Brunner-Williams:about time!
  avri:work on the union of the charters and sort it out later.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Cheryl Langdon-Orr has joined the call
  CLO::=)  well I'd like to see that happen Avri
  avri:BTW, I would like to point out that except for one person - all of the
NCSG has supported the ALAC version of the charter.
  Alan Greenberg:Less than 20 minutes before many of us have to leave!
  Alan Greenberg:It is a JOINT working group.  Period.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Tony Harris has had to leave the call
  avri:And some of the NCSG would probably be willing to make strong statement
in favor of the ALAC charter.
  Alan Greenberg:I suggest that we spend the rest of this decade talking about
charters and process.
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:hahaha
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:lol
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:only this decade?
  Alan Greenberg:Discussion may get a bit stale after that.
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:If anyone's interested I did some research on assessment
for UK legal aid applications--- means testing and interest of community
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i'd like to see an agenda for the next call,
agenda-free meetings are not the most productive
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:I'm intertested Cintra
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:we can look at similar criteria for JAS applications
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:thank you Tijani
  avri:i am interested in fund raising mechanisms and distribution mechanisms.
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:I will help you on that Avri
  CLO:Yes  break into topic defined  WT's
  Andrew Mack:what were the buckets?
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:Eric could you re-forward that email to me?
  Carlton Samuels 3:Alan you're on
  Andrew Mack:Apologies.  Need to go.  Can we please start with proposals for
the work teams at the beginning of the next call?
  Alan Greenberg:Sorry, my line seemed to have dropped. Dialing back
  Eric Brunner-Williams:Following up on the suggestion I made during the call
when I realized that external expertise could meet a part of the 1(a) knowledge
requirement, but not all of it.1. Estimating the per-component cost of a
self-contained, self-sustained registry, and metrics for determination of
"need".We know the TAS fee is $5,000, the application fee is $180,000, and
there are additional possible fees.We know the general form of the continuity
instrument, though this is on the TDG-Legal agenda for the 27th, and you've all
had a chance to see my questions.We can solicit input from the members of the
RySG who've indicated an interest in assisting -- Caroline Hoover (.coop),
Jordi Iparraguirre (.cat), etc., and possibly others, who can put their costing
experience for a variety of implementation choices at our disposal.At some
point we have a "bag" of costs, and some sequence of when the costs occur, and
how some of them can be minimized.Then we can ask, "what fractio!
 n of those resources is sufficient?"Continuing with 1(a) to
  Gisella Gruber-White:Andrew Mack has left the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Alan is still disconnected
  Alan Greenberg:Back
  Karla Valente:1. Estimating the per-component cost of a self-contained,
self-sustained registry, and metrics for determination of "need".We know the
TAS fee is $5,000, the application fee is $180,000, and there are additional
possible fees.We know the general form of the continuity instrument, though
this is on the TDG-Legal agenda for the 27th, and you've all had a chance to
see my questions.We can solicit input from the members of the RySG who've
indicated an interest in assisting -- Caroline Hoover (.coop), Jordi
Iparraguirre (.cat), etc., and possibly others, who can put their costing
experience for a variety of implementation choices at our disposal.At some
point we have a "bag" of costs, and some sequence of when the costs occur, and
how some of them can be minimized.Then we can ask, "what fraction of those
resources is sufficient?"Continuing with 1(a) to 1(b) ...2. This allows us to
"spreadsheet" the individual cost components and the creative ways these can be
impl!
 emented, through non-cash assistance and through ca
  Karla Valente:through cash assistance.And specific to 1(c) ...
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:which hinges on both Avri's and my suggestions for work
  Karla Valente:3. Starting the process of defining a development role and
development targets for this and subsequent new gTLD application rounds.4.
Starting the process of doing "the ask", initially among the bylaws entities
that have the resources identified in #2, above, such as ccTLD hosting or
continuity commitment, ASO network addresses and bandwidth resources, ... and
directly afterward externally for commitments of any kind, whether hardware,
staff, loans or grants.
  avri:and creating that independent funding model is what i am talking about.
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:we seem to be on the right track
  Alan Greenberg:Time to leave I am afraid. See you next meeting.
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:I will volunteer for the Eligibility
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:I have another call now
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:bye
  Eric Brunner-Williams:for friday's agenda i would like to place a report on
the thursday meetin gof the tdg-legal group on the continuity instrument issue
  Eric Brunner-Williams:staff doesn't make agenda, volunteers do
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Thanks and bye to all
  Eric Brunner-Williams:bye all
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:Bye
  CLO:I'm over in the ALAC Call now  Bye
  Cintra Sooknanan 2:look out for the criteria
  Cintra Sooknanan 2::)