ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] GAC-Board Intersessional, a JAS observer

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] GAC-Board Intersessional, a JAS observer
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:44:00 -0500

Of course it is one thing to volunteer others, another to register and yet
another to actually attend. No travel funding whatsoever is available for
observers (we checked), as a result those of us who are doing this without
vested interest (and thus financial incentive to attend) are at a
disadvantage.

I would also remind everyone here that as *observers*, by definition such
participants will not be allowed to speak at the meeting. Their value will
be their observance in the proceedings and their activity in the corridors
during breaks. So, given the short amount of time available, familiarity
with the subject matter is probably more important than name recognition.

So... moving from the hypothetical and wishful thinking to the real and
possible...

It is my understanding that ALAC Chair Olivier Crépin-Leblond is registering
as an observer and attending at his own expense. While not involved with the
JAS at a low level, he is very aware of the issues and challenges involved
and would surely be welcome to any background information that would assist.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org