ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Update on IDNs for tomorrow's call

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Update on IDNs for tomorrow's call
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:58:46 -0500

All,

Per our last call, below is a quick look at where we are on the IDN issue.
Based on our discussions both internal and external to the WG we believe the
issue will be key both to our being successful in reaching underserved
communities, but clearly also to any fundraising we're doing based on
conversations so far.  Look forward to your comments.  Eric has already
added his thoughts, but Tijani, please do add as well if you have anything I
haven't covered.

Cheers, Andrew
-------------------------------

What’s been discussed so far:

1.       1) IDNs should be a part of our “pitch” to potential funders

a.       To international donors/foundations, a focus on IDNs fits many of
their target countries and regions.  A focus on IDNs addresses issues of
digital divide and fairness, as well as concerns about northern domination
of the web and hopes for economic development.

b.      To communities, IDNs reflect the way they really express themselves,
especially for communities – many of them across South Asia, North America,
and Europe – that  express themselves using multiple scripts.

c.       To corporate foundations and regional companies, IDNs are key to
bring more consumers into focus and reach their complete audience.

2.       2) The number of groups that have a multi-script identity is
significant

a.       Partly because of the existing English/Latin-focused build out of
the web – many people we spoke with mentioned that even in IDN dominated
regions there is a small but robust “local-but-European-language-proficient”
group.

b.      Partly because of increasing mobility and rise of the sense of the
“connected diaspora” around the world – people who want to maintain
community identities in multiple languages or scripts.

c.       Because of the growth of communities/NGOs/companies in the south
wanting to reach multiple IDN communities.

3.       3) We identified three broad use cases:

a.       Groups wanting to work in IDNs alone – smaller more isolated
scripts, groups focused on cultural and community preservation, and other
groups.

b.      Groups with identities in multiple scripts, where the IDN script is
a crucial part of the current or intended group identity (Eric mentioned
cases from North America like the Cree and Cherokee communities, but there
are others such as in India, where some languages are expressed in multiple
scripts).

c.       Groups wanting to work with larger numbers of
communities/audiences, where the IDN is essential to community work,
including IDNs (NGOs, professional associations, regional companies).

4.       4) All agreed that pricing will be an issue, and that it shouldn’t
be the determining factor, so:

a.       Can we bundle to get the multiple-script identities covered?

b.      Are there other options to enabling/facilitating multiple script
applications?

c.       Is there a way to do this without adding to cost besides bundling?

5.       5) The group also agreed:

a.       There should be no ex ante preference for IDNs in our application
process

b.      At the same time, it is important not to ignore IDNs in the process

c.       Our goal to provide linguistic diversity through this process, or
at least not have cost be a determinant to keeping languages dark on the web

--
*
                                                       *

***Andrew A. Mack
**Principal
*AMGlobal Consulting

+1-202-642-6429  amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Massachusetts Avenue, NW  First Floor
Washington, DC 20036
www.amglobal.com