ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] RESENT Proposal for application fee reduction

  • To: Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] RESENT Proposal for application fee reduction
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:54:58 -0400

Mike,

Following Peter Dengate Thrush's statement at the GAC/Board meeting
in March that a fee reduction will be considered for needy applicants.

I have no recollection of such a statement being made. Can you please
point us to the transcript?

I'll pass on that. Cintra will provide the transcript reference.

I propose that we suggest a fee removal/reduction
Can you please explain the use of the term removal/reduction?
Are you proposing the fee be waived in its entirety by the term "removal"?
What is the preferred choice?
If reduction - by what amount and how is this justified? If on a
sliding scale - then using which criteria?

The series of proposals I've seen reduce, but do not eliminate the application fee.

Asking "what amount" assumes we've already answered the question of where does the money come from, assuming that Peter didn't say what Cintra wrote, or he did and he may change his mind (see unilateral amendment of registry agreement), or alternatively, that staff has informed us details about the structure, and its conditional waiver, of the application fee, which they have not.

So that's carts before horses.

Asking "how is this [a reduction] justified?" also assumes that the above set of offset, through external funds or reduction in fees required by the corporation, has a positive number, which at present, while non-negative, is also not yet positive.

Additionally, is the justification sought for a reduction in fee, or for specific reductions for specific applications? The "sliding scale" suggests you're asking a questions who's predicate condition we've actually not yet resolved.

If the former, that also is carts before horses, or at least a non-zero preference before we know what range of non-zero numbers form our working set.

If the latter, that's bales before carts before horses.

to apply to the legal part of the application cost.
Having just rechecked the DAG and the supporting documentation, I
cannot find any reference to a "legal fee". Possibly that is shorthand
that has been used in the group for another component of the
application fee - in which I apologise for my ignorance and ask to be
better informed.

Are you referring to the Risk Costs?

I quote from the cost considerations document 04 October 2009:

"3. Risk costs. Uncertain costs and costs that are harder to predict,
or risks, include unanticipated costs such as variations between
estimates and actual costs incurred. These costs expected value amount
to $30,000,000, or $60,000 per application."

I'll pass on this too. Without knowing better the fine structure of the application fee, and any conditions associated with each element, forming alternatives is likely to result in confusion.

The legal part will instead be covered
Covered by whom?
by the needy applicant by -

a) Passing our criteria for needy applicants;
Again - will this be a full waiver, a partial waiver or a sliding
scale contribution.

See above.

b) Taking out and maintaining Indemnity Insurance to some minimum
coverage amount e.g. US$5million; and
Who will take out and maintain the insurance? In whose favour? In
respect of which incidents / occurrences?

There is at least one area of draft applicant obligation towards the corporation, the continuity instrument. This has been the subject of some discussion on the TDG-Legal list. The treatment of obligations should be specific to each one the corporation seeks, and the set of assumptions contained, which may not be universally applicable, or have uniform actual cost to applicants.

c) Contributing annually to the body evaluating the criteria for need
Who will make this contribution?

The unreflected draft application creates a uniform obligation upon the part of all applicants. An alternate to the corporation as the entity holding instruments of indemnification requires a means to fulfill the application obligation, whether by the applicant or by a third party.

(suggest ICANN Non profit company created for this purpose)
I am not sure what this means? Are you suggesting that ICANN plays
this role or a new entity? If a new entity - who will take the
responsibility for the new entity including establishment costs,
appointment of a Board (or similar), staff and salaries, tax exemption
(if applicable), location of establishment (USA or elsewhere), audit
and audit costs and other running costs?

Most of the discussion has assumed that an entity exists that could be induced to provide the corporate form. Pretty much the same as the HSTLD AG assumed that some entity could be induced to put a seal of approval (for some value of "approval") on zero or more "HSTLD" branded TLDs.

More broadly, we assume that ICANN will exist, that a compliance function will exist, and so on. There are a lot of assumptions.

One of the attractions of the GNSO's model for support (direct from {incumbent registry operators, registrars, gTLD consultants (whatever those are)), is that it only offers assistance for which no necessity arises for a third party, to hold a bag or risk or reward.

To be fair, that form of intermediary free non-fungible assistance appears likely to result in "discounted dependency" relationships than fungible (assignable) assistance, so there are cost issues for both an intermediary agency (ALAC form) and an agency-free (GNSO) form of assistance.

Some awareness on the part of the corporation seems advisable. Just how informed it seeks to be is up to it. This is an attempt to find an alternative to the uniform obligation of the unreflected draft application, which may be in conflict with the Board's nominal indications of support for some diversity, which has some economic and institutional consequences.

a specific amount to ICANN'S gTLD Compensation Fund. This fund is to
be managed for the payment of losses in excess of that covered by
insurance or for other purposes and is to be disbursed and managed
solely by the body evaluating the needy criteria. See
http://www.sra.org.uk/sra/regulatory-framework/solicitors-compensation-fund-rules-2009.page

I see absolutely no equivalence between grants to persons who have
suffered losses or damage due to the actions of solicitors and the
current situation.

If you are suggesting the creation of a compensation fund for
consumers - that is a massive exercise (which could be quite
interesting) but would involve a policy change at gNSO (and possibly
ccNSO) level.

If you read the DAG - ICANN enforces certain rules against registries
but does NOT step in to compensate anyone who has suffered damages.
There is no element of the application fee that relates to 3rd party
damage. The fees relate to ICANN's costs and risks.

I'm not going to comment on a regulatory framework I'm unfamiliar with.

The aim of indemnity insurance is to allow aggrieved parties to
directly claim against the gTLD owner through their insurance
provider.See
http://www.insuranceprofessionalindemnity.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_indemnity_insurance
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Professional-Indemnity-Liability-Insurance-Works&id=2658423
<http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Professional-Indemnity-Liability-Insurance-Works&id=2658423>
http://www.bytestart.co.uk/content/20/20_3/hiscox-professional-indemnity-insurance.shtml
http://www.sra.org.uk/siir/
Interestingly, we may also cater for matters dealt with by the
Ombudsman e.g. as set out in the link above
1/.8/

/Award by regulatory authority/

/The Insurer will indemnify each Insured against any amount paid or
payable in accordance with the recommendation or determination of
the Legal Services Ombudsman, the Legal Complaints Service, the
Office for Legal Complaints (including the Legal Ombudsman pursuant
to sections 137(2)(c) and section 137(4)(b) of the Legal Services
Act 2007) or any other regulatory authority to the same extent as it
indemnifies the Insured against civil liability provided that the
Insurer will have no Liability in respect of any determination by
the Legal Ombudsman pursuant to section 137(2)(b) of the Legal
Services Act 2007 to refund any fees paid to the Insured./

This also has the benefit of taking ICANN out of the equation as the
party being sued and in fact may allow ICANN to join the aggrieved
party in its claim if it is found that the gTLD holder also caused
some damage to ICANN's reputation etc.

ICANN has never been IN the equation.

Ummmmmmmm. The original filings by IODesign named the corporation, as well as CORE, as respondents. There is no shortage of people making claims that they will sue ICANN (Professor Meuller on at least one occasion, Mr. Footie, etc.)

Additionally, the transactional history of the corporation and Verisign has included more than nominal references to suits.

I am not sure how this proposal adds anything as it seems to be
totally unrelated to the any version of the DAG to date or current
practice in any TLD?
This is just a framework I am suggesting, we will have to modify it
to the gTLD process. But I think it is applicable and a good way to
reduce fees and build some assurance that ICANN will not have to
constantly be on guard for litigation.

I really do not see how this is applicable or how it can reduce fees.
The ICANN concern about litigation does NOT necessarily relate to 3rd
parties.

In addition - ICANN cannot force anyone to use such a process. At best
ICANN can take out insurance - but will have to pay for it and hand
over litigation to the insurance company.

After several readings I fail to see where there is understanding. I suggest taking smaller bites that may be resolved.

Eric