ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from JAS WG April 5 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from JAS WG April 5 2011
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:37:43 -0700

  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the JAS WG Meeting on Tuesday 05 April 2011
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:hi everyone
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Hello Tijani, Hi everyone
  baudouin schombé:hello
  Alex Gakuru:Hello Baudouin
  baudouin schombé:Tijani and Dave
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:bonjour baudouin
  baudouin schombé:very happy to read you
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:tu es au téléphone?
  baudouin schombé:bonjour Tijani
  baudouin schombé:non
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Bonjour Dave
  Carlton Samuels:hiya all
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hi Carlton
  avri:hi,  i can only stay for the first 30 minutes - have a work meeting at
the half hour.  this is a regular event for me now ever other week.
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:me too Avri
  Alex Gakuru:Baudouin, incapable d'être sur le téléphone?
  Gisella Gruber-White:Baudoin - nous allons ressayer de te joindre
  Alex Gakuru: .... I use http://translate.google.com/ :-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:Evan Leibovithc has joined the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Still trying to get hold of Rafik, Carlos and Baudoin
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dave Kissoondoyal is back on the call
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hi, apologies for short notice, but is it possible for
a dialout to cell # 1-868-684-1796
  Gisella Gruber-White:Yes Dev
  Gisella Gruber-White:we will do this now
  Gisella Gruber-White:Carlos Aguirre has joined the call
  Cintra Sooknanan:Dear  Cintra  and all Apologies for not getting back on
this. As mentioned by Tracy, we have requested out GAC colleagues to comment on
the definition for developing countries and needy applicants. It would be
ideal, if the working group could  develop a definition, that the GAC and other
stakeholders could comment/input to refine it.The GAC is still working on the
final version of the SFO GAC advice on new gTLDs and we shall share it as soon
as it is ready. Tracy continues to try and engage with the activities and the
teleconferences.Thank you very much
  Gisella Gruber-White:Baudoin will be joining in 10 minutes
  baudouin schombé:OK I am ready now
  Gisella Gruber-White:OK Baudoin - nous allons t'appeler a present
  Alex Gakuru:Thanks for that Avri.
  Alan Greenberg:Had to switch phones - back now.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dev Anand Teelucksingh has joined the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Baudoin has joined the call as well
  avri:One thing, while I will be working on the document, it is for the chairs
or others to tell me what the consensus postions are.  And I am having trouble
putting my finger on what the agreed upon postions are.
  Elaine Pruis:there are none yet Avri
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:JAS overview :
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1J0IpviG_n2vqKHIPSqKkaPPx7P1TeWHyXz4pOIfx_vQ&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKmw7-0B
  avri:so the numbers should really be XX USD min and YY max?
  avri:ie. these are variables and place holders not actual sum.
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:attempt to detail Step 1 based on the wiki page :
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1UuK_BtBc1bhnlJXMEMTJhYTozyThl-Lo8fdpxdq18xU&hl=en_GB&authkey=CLaMyrYB
  Cintra Sooknanan:PLEASE look at this second flowchart of Step 1 Criteria
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:thank you Dev for the flowcharts
  Alex Gakuru:At some point at SF was it not suggested that we use a % instead
of a specific figure?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Simplified Step 1 flowchart :
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1WSVCv-euLCWG3v0Gif8oNUg91UULgaCqnjDWxJL-5hY&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIahq94H
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Gisella, I am disconnected again
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dave - we are dialling out to you now
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Thanks Gisella
  Carlton Samuels:@Avri:
  Carlton Samuels:+1
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:I also have to leave
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:sorry, I have a doctor appointment
  Carlton Samuels:bye Tijani.
  Carlton Samuels:Good luck
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:IN response to Eva
  Alex Gakuru:Andrew, would you kindly mention our Brussels example in response
to Evan, thanks.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:In response to Evan, I think that just knowing the
high application fee would probably a high enough hurdle for any organisation
to even work on an application. I've not heard of any yet
  Cintra Sooknanan:Is it appropriate to also request from the GAC the needy
Developing Countries who wish to benefit from our process
  Cintra Sooknanan:??
  Alan Greenberg:If we cannot identify some hard examples to use to test the
criteria we develop, I don't think we will have any credibility.
  Gisella Gruber-White:We are not able to connect Rafik - I have emailed him to
inform him of the issues with his cell phone in Tunisia
  Alex Gakuru:Sorry, I forgot to mention the Free and Open Source Foundation
for Africa, as our Brussels example.
  Andrew Mack:Elaine, your "size" would be in the millions.  The number of
people wouldn't matter.
  Elaine Pruis:Yes, Andrew, but we haven't actually made any profit in the
2+years...
  Cintra Sooknanan:Review the JAS Overview
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Straight from the wiki :
https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/Subgroup+1+Qualifications+%28was+A+B%29
  Elaine Pruis:ok thanks Dev, I see in the critera.
  Cintra
Sooknanan:https://docs2.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1J0IpviG_n2vqKHIPSqKkaPPx7P1TeWHyXz4pOIfx_vQ&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKmw7-0B
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:that's it
  Alex Gakuru:Allan, could you explain a bit more? Your point sounds interesting
  Carlton
Samuels:https://docs0.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1J0IpviG_n2vqKHIPSqKkaPPx7P1TeWHyXz4pOIfx_vQ&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKmw7-0B
  Alex Gakuru:Alan, sorry for the typo
  Elaine Pruis:hahahah
  Alex Gakuru:On the applicant themselves, did DAG not have something on
"background checks"? Is it also applicable to our applicants also?
  Cintra Sooknanan:I think it would be .. because we want to support successful
applications
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Yes
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Yes @ Alex
  Cintra Sooknanan:so the suggestion is that the ICANN subcontractor do this
work, so that they use this preliminary work in the DAG process
  Alex Gakuru:Apologies for Friday call, I will be speaking at a University,
thanks
  Cintra Sooknanan:thanks
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Thanks a bye
  Carlton Samuels:Thanks you all!